Monday, January 12, 2015

So far, so-so

Having proclaimed my commitment level in last week's post, I am now left wondering just how committed do I have to be to be REALLY committed??  I think I may have an interpretation issue.
Actually, both my husband and I have done quite well this past week.  Yes, Wednesday was my birthday (according to my 5yo I am now 18, and that's fine by me) and so it would be rude to not enjoy some cake with family, right??  Just one piece.  Homemade carrot cake.  So good.  Still thinking about it.  At least it had veggies in it.
OH, and then I had grapes on Friday.  Really old grapes.  Fermented.  Liquefied even.  A few glasses. Word of advice:  while detoxing, choose your re-tox poisons carefully.  Oy.
And so you see that I am now using this forum as a confessional.  Forgive me, for I know not what I do.
Despite my transgressions, though, some noteworthy moments (that I can be proud of) did occur:
I actually looked at myself at one point and thought, "wow, my eyes and skin look GREAT!" - so clear and bright.
Also, my skin isn't itching, which is quite something for me, especially in sub-zero Wisconsin weather.
I lost my bloat.
I sleep better.
I'm in a good mood, despite feeling convinced I might starve once or twice.  Old habits die hard for sure.
AND, thanks to some more personal purging assistance, my bedroom is a much nicer place to be! Additionally, the smaller, more-manageable stack of reading material next to my bed is actually being read! Personal growth, here I come!
I feel like I have A LOT of irons in the fire right now.  I do!: purging, cleansing, getting older.  Not surprisingly, some things have been shuffled to a lower spot in the pile.  I do believe I have figured out that I am not actually lazy, as I have thought for so long, but rather life just moves too quickly for me to keep up. By the time I accomplish one task, the time to complete three more has flown by.  And if I stop to actually BE in the moment?  Well, forget about it.  There's no time to sit and be still and just be me.  Figure out what's going on with Lauren.  Do some self-analysis. Meditate (which I am told and have read would make a lot of difference in my world).
I seek balance now.  People always talk about work/life balance, but there's so much balancing that has to even occur within those two areas before you can balance them to one another.  For me, I believe it's all about time management.  Lists aren't cutting it.  I have various lists in different locations: in notebooks, scrap paper, post-it's, my phone... which of course are scattered about as well.
I'll let you know when I get a system down.  That's one goal for this week.
Another is to love my kitchen again!  That means cleaning and organizing it well.
And also to take down my Christmas tree.  I hate to do it.  I honestly love my tree this year more than I have ever loved any tree of my own before.
I am remaining "committed" to my cleanse and purge.  The oldest son is here this week, so I will likely be doing a little more cooking so that I can appease multiple palates.  I don't mind, though - it makes for good food for the freezer later on this winter when I don't feel like cooking.

Here's some stats on how it's going:

Me: down 3 lbs (slow and steady...), 1/2 inch down around my waist, almost a full inch down around my abdomen (told you about that bloat), almost TWO inches down around my hips, and by some freak of nature, my thigh is .2 inches larger.  I have no idea what happened there.  It's likely due to inconsistent measuring spots. My upper arm is down 1/4 inch.

Hubs: down 4 lbs!, 1 1/2 inches down around the waist, 1 inch down around the abdomen, 1/4 inch down around the hips (like he even has any anyway), 3/4 inch down around the thigh, and 1/4 inch down around the upper arm.  Crap, I think he's winning.

Here's a brief summary as it pertains to the name of this blog (which still may change- I think this is harder than naming a kid)
Family: UP!  Fun week with birthdays, time with in-laws, love sent in the form of cards and well-wishes, plus some mild celebrating
Food:  UP!  I'm loving some of the new recipes we are trying and, most importantly, I love how much better my body feels
Fun:  UP! a phone call with a friend (plus a surprise trip revealed), sledding with the kids, playing a game with friends Friday night
Fitness:  DOWN -> see "sledding" above(I only walked it once, but that hill is a beast), also laundry.



No comments:

Post a Comment